Being under the knife Part 1

Okay..i guess i shud have updated myself a week ago since i came back from the surgery but well..i was being my usual procrastinating self the whole week. Anyways, im back and as promised I shall tell you all about my entire ordeal…my erm..alveolar bone grafting surgery. (hah! I learnt at least one medical term from this…in this case i shud anyway). I guess this post shall be one of my longest post yet so bear with me. I like to describe things in details in my own words. So i’ll break it down a day at a time.  Here goes…

Day One – 17th Feb 2010, Wed

This particular Wednesday is not only the 1st day of this surgery was also Ash Wednesday..huh..easier for me to remember this day then. Anyways, i went to the Dental Clinic in QEH at 930am with both my mum and dad. Took my number- 1413 and waited at the waiting area till my next turn. I dint really had to wait long though…just about 15mins (compared to the 1&half hour usual wait, this was very quick). When my number was called, i went into the appointment room and the doc (Dr. Mohd Mazharul) explained whats gona be done on me. Then I had to read and sign some papers…standard procedures..incase anything goes wrong and they dont get the blame and that I have acknowledged everything that’s been explained. What was funny was that the forms were in B.Malaysia and my malay sucks. I had to ask the doc to explain to me what this one paragraph meant. The doc being from west M’sia too had a difficult time trying to explain to me in the local Sabah slang. He cud explain it to me in english..i guess i would understand better. I have no idea why they struggle to explain in BM when they know I can perfectly understand it in english (leme tell you he’s not the only doc who did that to me..mebe its just SOP? duno..).

At first the doc asked me if I wanted to be admitted to the ward the next day instead cause it only takes one day for the op-prep. So i was actually quite relieved and said that Thurs would be much better. But then later he changed his mind and told the nurse to admit me on that day anyways. Dang! The reason: There were not enough beds in the ward. So yeah…i had to stay a night at the women’s ward at QEH.

The first thing I had to do before being escorted to the ward was that I had to take some blood samples..about 2 tubes. That was actually the 1st time that much blood was taken from me…not counting the time i went for my 1st surgery when i was still an infant (i dont have any memory of that. I only know the 2 IV tube scars on both my hands) After that’s done, one of the nurse escorted me to the female surgical ward at the old block of QEH (previously the children’s ward). My bed, Extension 1, was smack in the middle of the room. It was lined along the other beds..meaning..when i lie down, all feet facing me. Oh..and my feet facing another person’s head. Anyway..i dint like it der at all..especially the bathroom!! Its so gross!! I soo didnt need to be there…i was the healthiest patient around!! I spent my time just lying on the bed reading & sleeping.  It was agonizingly BOOOORING!! aaand not to mention depressing and lonely..


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s